Friday, June 3, 2011

How does a starter motor change polarity?

I always disconnect the negative (only) cable from my battery (boat/outboard motor) when I bring it in. Yesterday, I connected the negative cable back to the post, tried to start and the starter would spin but (after MUCH investigation) I discovered that it was spinning in the wrong direction. I disconnected/reconnected the negative cables and, voila, it started spinning correctly. ?!?


This is an older motor (circa 1991/1992) so the starter has brushes... not rare earth magnets. I can find nothing online about it except one forum telling a user with the same problem that it can%26#039;t happen. Any answers out there?|||The same thing ha pend to me about four years ago and i got the same answer as you that it cant do that ,but i did disconnect and reconnected and it as been ok since then .|||I don%26#039;t know about boat starters,but I have worked on DC motors before,and I can say that motors with brushes can fail in such a way that they will sometimes spin the wrong way. Bad starter,probably.|||You have to change the flow of electricity to reverse the polarity of a motor. How you reversed the flow of electricity though, I have no idea. Could be a faulty starter like mentioned.