Thursday, September 15, 2011

Alternator/Starter Motor problem after service?

I took my car for a service to an local independent garage (%26lt;1mile from home). They carried out the necesarry work and charged me around 150 quid. I also had both front disc and brake pads changed. I drove the car home fine without any problems. In the evening I went to the surgery and on the way back home my car began to gradually lose power where the dashboard lights became dimmer and dimmer. The car finally came to a stop and all I saw was white smoke coming out from the front bonnet with a strange burning smell. After having it inspected by a mechanic the next day, I was told the smoke/smell was coming from the starter motor. This has never happened before and I have a feeling I that the service garage may have deliberatley done something to cause this. Upon informing them of this, they clearly said they had not been anywhere near the alternator/starter motor and if I wanted them to have a look at it, I should either use my RAC cover to tow the car to their garage OR they can tow it for me for 40 quid. They also mentioned that even for inspecting the problem they would charge me. I have a very strong feeling this was delibretly done just so that I would go back to them and spend more money. As they are in denial and because I drove out of the garage fine without any problems, they claim this to not be their fault in any way. Is there anything I can do...? cheers



peugout 306 1997 116k mileage
Alternator/Starter Motor problem after service?
I don't know why you keep going on about the starter motor as clearly from the symptoms you describe it is the alternator which is the problem.

As neither would be touched as part of a service I am not surprised that the garage is not bending over backwards to remedy it free of charge.

Just because you take your car to a garage does not guarantee it will never go wrong!
Alternator/Starter Motor problem after service?
What did the initial inspecting mechanic say the problem was which caused the smoke to come from the starter?

If something was deliberately done to cause this by the service work by the first repair facility, it should be readily apparent.
My friend, things can go wrong without having to have been sabotaged.



I doubt if they did anything, but you've certainly antagonised them now with your allegation. If I were you I'd look for another garage and while you're there ask them if there's any sign of deliberate damage.
It could just be a loose starter or earth lead or. Or a lead which has been dragged round during tightening to be touching metal thereby shorting to earth.
I think this is purely a coincidence.
i doubt if the garage had done anything.



the probable cause is that your starter failed to disengage its self from the fly wheel.



as you drive along you would be forcing the starter to keep spinning which in turn burnt it out.



starters are not designed to spin continuously at high speed for long periods of time.



拢150 for a service pads and disks is not a bad price.



disk 25

pads 15

oil 10

filter 8

air filter 20

labour 45



total 123

vat 15% 18.45

G total 141.45



this is just a guess at the prices. i do not think you have been done.





cta
First of all the starter motor and the alternator are different pieces of equipment attatched to different parts of the engine and it is difficult to think what might be done to either to cause them to subsequently fault. I do not however that your car has done over 100 thousand miles and wonder if both starter and alternator are originals. If they are then I would say they have done remarkably well, the alternator in particular. By your description I would suggest that the starter motor remained engaged with the engine after starting and subsequently became heated. If the alternator failed at about the same time then it would account for your lights dimming and the engine finally stopping. It is not unusual for both pieces of equipment to fail at around the same time. I suggest that if you are unhappy with the service you received from the garage who did your servicing then you find another. Indeed the RAC may be able to (unofficially) recommend one for you. I think you would find it very hard to prove negligence on the part of that garage without firm proof but you might mention it to your new garage in case anything untoward is found by them.
this maybe pure co-incidence but if you feel there has been some skulduggery and you are an RCA member see if they will look into it.

good luck as this can be very difficult to prove unless it is obvious and it may be something you will need to chalk up to experience and obviously not use that garage again
customers like you get on garages ****. just cos its been in the garage and i broke down a bit after don't mean that the garage done any thing, stuff on cars do brake with out warning that the garage can not for see.and a 150 quid 4 a service and discs and pads is bloody good price most places charge 140 4 the brakes alone.