Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mechanics, have you ever changed out a starter that was this hard?

It's a '69 Ford F-100 with a 390 and auto tranny. I had to take the headers loose, remove both motor mounts and jack up the motor as high as it would go. If you'v ever delt the the FE you know it has three bolt, and the third one is between the starter and block, not the easiest to get to. After all that I had to fight it out. Now I really don't want to put a new one back.
Mechanics, have you ever changed out a starter that was this hard?
Been there and done that. Better a new one (have them check it before you leave the store) than put one on that doesn't work and have to do it all over again!

My pain-in-the-neck starter change out was on my uncle's 79 Chevy Caprice. Had a tortured time getting it out. Had to thread it back in. When I turned it loose to get a bolt to put in, it fell out in my face! I was not a happy camper!
Mechanics, have you ever changed out a starter that was this hard?
I did one pretty close. I replaced the starter on a E-type Jag with the 12 cylinder engine it was painful. This was a US version with left hand drive so in order to get to the 3 starter bolts I had to go through an access panel on the passenger side firewall. Once that panel was remover I then had to use extra long extensions lot of body contortions to remove the bolts from the starter leaving one loose so that the starter did not fall. Then I had to get under the car, remove the last bolt and snake the 30 lbs starter with my fingers along the frame rail and exhaust system from the back of the engine to the front where I could finally pull the starter out. I had to do the same in reverse (of course) to reinstall it.



It was a pretty tough job, but still not a tuff as changing the spark plugs on the Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III. That involved removing the two front tires and the inside fender wells. GEEZ!
The headers on this truck make it a problem but once it was removed you shouldn't have to remove anything else. The third bolt that is hard to get to can be removed with a long extension from the front of the motor, when putting the new starter in start the two accessible bolts, turn them in till they loosely hold the starter in its proper place and then install the last one by taping it to the socket and install it with the long extension just like it was removed.
i have left it out on my own truck before. never had any trouble because of it
well you eather have to put a new one on or your truck will not run. I know exectly how hard it is to do that. I am 14 and i have helped my dad fix cars sence i can remember and we have seen probably anywhere from 15 - 20 of the same car you are talking about. about 5 of the 15 - 20 were starters. it is tricky.



GOOD LUCK! =)
My worst one was a 1969 Chevy Malibu 396. v-8 the worst being I put it back together and replacement starter did not work. I was angry beyond livid . I cannot repeat the rest. I literally wanted to strangle the parts shop. I dropped the headers , had to raise the engine off the motor mounts , and everything Else that comes with changing a starter disconnecting battery etc.. only to put it back together and the rebuilt one did not work . I finally bought a brand new one [ I tried 3 rebuilt starters that did not work why ? They would not take returns. fortunately I benched checked the next two that did not work ] I am sure they have a idea how there window at the parts shop was broken with a bad starter laying on their floor ... Then again they probably did this to others also ... I have never bought a rebuilt starter , alternator , or water pump again . I sympathize with you . If you can afford the charge see if a mobile mechanic will come out or call around and see if you can have it towed into a shop . Either way it will cost you. This is a tough lesson at times you can question why the labor is high ...you found out the hard way.
Hah, I remember trying to tune up my '75 Chevy Monze 2+2 with the 262ci V8 4-speed. You had to disconnect the motor mounts and jack the engine up as high as you could to get the last spark plug. The dealer told me the tune-up on the car was $660 in 1976, and I thought I would show him. Hah, it would have been cheaper in skin and blood to have had him do it, anyway! Why do they do such things to us?
Try removing or replacing a starter on any 4.6L/5.4L/6.8L V10 engine equipped Ford products. These are also 3 bolt starters where the top bolt is nearly impossible to access on just about any vehicle application imaginable, from Mustangs to E/F-Series trucks to Crown Victorias etc. The experience you described sounds almost like the same battle with the engines I've just mentioned. Consequently, I'm sure there MANY of these vehicles out there missing the top bolt on the starter.