Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How does a starter motor change polarity?

I always disconnect the negative (only) cable from my battery (boat/outboard motor) when I bring it in. Yesterday, I connected the negative cable back to the post, tried to start and the starter would spin but (after MUCH investigation) I discovered that it was spinning in the wrong direction. I disconnected/reconnected the negative cables and, voila, it started spinning correctly. ?!?

This is an older motor (circa 1991/1992) so the starter has brushes... not rare earth magnets. I can find nothing online about it except one forum telling a user with the same problem that it can't happen. Any answers out there?
How does a starter motor change polarity?
It could happen if the brush plate moved or the magnets on the housing moved. Are U sure the ground or positive wasn't tight and just didn't spin fast enough to connect the Bendix??? Any way it fixed in self.
How does a starter motor change polarity?
happened to mine once...after a rebuild in which I had reversed the brushes in the brush holder. Starter would spin like nobody's business, but it took me awhile to figure out why the bendix wouldn't engage............



Believe it or not, a battery can reverse it's polarity. Only way I know of, though is for it to be completely discharged, and have a load still on it. Then after recharging normally, the polarity can just spontaneously reverse. Don't ask me how though.