Thursday, September 15, 2011

Starting problems with a '97 Honda CB 500S : Any ideas?

Bike refuses to start. Starter motor turns over a couple of times but doesn't catch. Its pretty laboured and after a few turns will not turn over at all. Then you only have the sound of the relay clicking.



Initially I thought it was a cold weather problem as it took a couple of goes to start if it was cold/wet. Then it just generally wouldn't start, even on warm sunny days. So I tried a few things : Battery is fairly new, and was showing the correct voltage. The starter relay was working fine and clicking every time I pressed the starter switch. The starter fuse was fine. I changed the starter motor for a spare I had (Actually the original one). This was worse (more laboured and less turns) so I'm planning to switch it back, although I don't think this will cure the problem.



Failing a miracle cure, if anyone could point me in the direction of an online Honda or CB 500 forum, that works for me too.
Starting problems with a '97 Honda CB 500S : Any ideas?
Check all your connections, from the battery to ground on the negative side and from the battery all the way down through to the starter motor on the positive side. Don't just look at them, but take them apart and re-connect them. Clean all of them, even if they don't look dirty. Put the battery on a charger while you work on the wiring, and bring it to a full charge.



After you put the battery back in is the time to check your voltages. If your battery will not stay charged after this, you will need to start checking your regulator/rectifier, and possibly the alternator as well.
Starting problems with a '97 Honda CB 500S : Any ideas?
I had a 1982 Honda 650cb...I had to charge the battery everytime I planned to ride..it was good for about 20 starts and then I would end up push starting it.....check your voltage regulator, rectifer, stater....how are your spark plugs???
Try charging the battery, if that's not it, check the cable between the starter relay and the starter...............
It's possible the battery is bad.

A weak battery can be charged and show 12v - but not have enough cranking amps to turn the engine.

The starter motor will turn over a couple of times, then will not turn over at all.

I changed the starter motor for a spare.

Those 2 statements suggest the battery is defective.

Bring the battery to a shop and have it %26quot;load tested%26quot;.

Jump start your bike with a car battery. If everything works fine, then you've found the problem. Replace the battery.
  • web hosting problem
  • software
  •