Thursday, September 15, 2011

Can I change the weight of my motor oil from 5W to 20W because it's heavier. I drive a high mileage truck??

1996 ISUZU TROOPER 3.2l V6 224K MILES. ORIGINAL ENGINE %26amp; TRANNY. GOOD MILEAGE. ONLY CHANGED STARTER. %26amp; AC COMPRESSOR.
Can I change the weight of my motor oil from 5W to 20W because it's heavier. I drive a high mileage truck??
10w-30 or 5w-30 will serve this engine the best......

224k? my 1980 (with original untouched engine) caprice is still running after tripping the odometer I forget how many times...... (its well over 300k) running on 10w-30. all I have is the good ol valve stem leak that those engines have....



My 96 s-10 is over 200k on 5w-30 and 10w-30.... burns no oil, leaks none.... and is driven hard (for a 4.3 liter, its fun to floor it some :P)
Can I change the weight of my motor oil from 5W to 20W because it's heavier. I drive a high mileage truck??
Look at the temp to viscosity chart in your owners manual. And I bet you can go to 20 wt oil and if not use high mileage motor oil.
Shure you can run any kind of oil you want

Highway miles are hard on a car but not like the stop and go.

If you change youe oil to a heavyer wight is ok, just be shure you use a good oil filter Fram is not a good oil filter
5w20 is a light oil. I was a mechanic for over 20 years and I have never seen 10w30 hurt a car. perhaps you meant 5w30. I'd switch to 10w30. One note.....once the oil heats up it all breaks down to 30 weight...the 5 or 10 is what it is at cold temperature.
I agree with the Fram part not being a good filter. Personally I would stick with what the manufacturer recommends and go w/ a high mileage oil . High mileage oil has additives in it that swell seals to help with blow by and leaks. I think youll work the lil v6 way to hard pumping that molasses around and it might not be able to lubricate into tight tolerances well enough.
5W-30 or 20W-40 is that what you're talking about????



Most equipment such as cars, boats and even mowers, offer suggestions in the owner's manual regarding which weight is appropriate for the engine. Single grade is the SAE distinction found on a bottle of oil, such as SAE40. This is a measurement of the oil's thickness and ability to withstand high temperatures. There is also multi-grade, for example, 10W40. This simply stands for the ability of the oil to withstand both hot and cold temperatures.



The 5W and 20W indicate the initial performance of the oil and not necessarily anything about the %26quot;leakage%26quot; through old engines.





Forget the W and buy a straight 30 weight oil. Additives may help but that's a shot in the dark. Consumer Reports did some testing that showed it might help a bit, I think.