Thursday, September 15, 2011

Did my amp have anything to do with blowing my Starter motor?

Ok... well I hooked up my amp (300 watt Pioneer) a couple days ago and everything was going fine. Well yesterday the starter motor was gone and now I have to buy a new one. My nieghbor swears it was b/c of me having the amp hooked up in my car or having it hooked up wrong or something.



Is this true that my amp may have been the reason my starter went out on me. If so... is it b/c I hooked it up wrong or something??



O and the starter was actually never changed since the car was bought, so that makes it a 10 year old starter.



Thanks in advance!!
Did my amp have anything to do with blowing my Starter motor?
No.



Your neighbor is an idiot

Your amp DID NOT cause your starter to go out.

The only thing they have in common is the fact that they both get power from the battery



Saying your amp made your starter go out is like saying



You changed your wiper blades and then got a flat tire, so your wiper blades must have caused it.



That doesn't make any sense, and neither does your neighbor
Did my amp have anything to do with blowing my Starter motor?
There is definitely no relation between the two unless you used a common +12V source for both Starter and Ampl. If ever the 12V source for the solenoid control of your srater fails due to open circuit, then your starter will also not work. Your amplifier should have a separe 12V supply line that is properly propected by a fuse.



It could also be a coincidence. A 10yr old starter would have a worn out carbon brushes which is highly prone to failure at anytime. Replacement of Starter Brushes should be done at least every 5 years. Yours have gone a long long way....
No... the amp can have not effect on the starter what so ever. It was jus shere luck that it happened at that time.